Sunday 4 September 2011

First month done...

So I have been in Korea for one month now and it's been a brilliant experience. What a good decision to come over here....the people are super friendly, the kids, for the most part, are great and keep me laughing through the day and I've met some great Western friends who are showing me the ropes so I don't end up either lost or eating something I shouldn't. 

I'm finally getting into a routine at my school and have started teaching the English Town sections. There are different students from elementary and middle schools everyday. They're all pretty excited because it's a break from their normal routine. Korean kids work and study just about all day. They're in school from about 0830 and when the finish school they all go to English classes or music lessons and all sorts. Most of them don't get home until 10pm. Mental!!! So I try and make it as much fun as possible for them. But it's pretty repetitive so I look forward to my normal teaching lesson with my Gifted Students.
 My view on the way to work...


Out of school I've been lucky enough to meet some pretty cool people. Which means that I get to have the traditional meet and greet drinks/piss up. Although every weekend people are going out. They party hard over here. Go Hard or Go Home...
I have also had my first norebang, which for all you lot means kareoke...and for those of you who have been privileged enough to here me sing will not be surprised that I butchered Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody...sorry Freddy. My Bad!
I've also been initiated into the Makeoli Drinking Membership Association, which is held on the first Thursday of every month..."Makeoli?" I hear you say..."Oh, it sounds so exotic"Well you'd be wrong. The best way I would describe Makeoli is that it is a combination of milk, white wine and sprite and is served in bowls and is strong enough to stop a rhino on acid. Potent bloody stuff and gives you a hangover that pisses on any Stella hangover I've ever had. Let's just say it's an acquired taste. 
Throw in a good ol pub quiz and it's a good night. Didn't win the quiz though!!! Balls!






Some of my new Korean family...well they're not Korean but you know what I mean.
Gen and Shaun at Jeep







We have also had the IAAF athletics here and is actually just finishing up today. The stadium is pretty close to where I live so I had to go. It's an awesome venue and didn't think I'd get in to it as much as I did, but the ladies pole vault final was very exciting...I'm sure there's a joke about women handling poles but I'm not going to be drawn into such vulgarity. 

So life is pretty good. I like my job, I have met some great people, I've seen great athletes at work, I've taken part in my first norebang, I've eaten some interesting food, and some pretty gross food so I am very excited about the next 11 months. 

Bring on next week, Korean Thanksgiving. 5 day weekend bring it on!!!

Adios folks

1 comment:

  1. Glad its all going well mate, sounds like you're having fun! New Blink single is pretty decent and album out at the end of the month!

    Off to the USA next week, speak soon!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete